Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An Ocean of Knowledge...

Re: An Ocean of Knowledge...

Namaste,

I didn't mean to imply that randomness (or any particular approach) is "best" ... quite the contrary! Nothing is "best" for everyone; whatever your current point of view draws to you in understanding - this is where one must start.

Whatever works, whatever the book one picks up first ... that is what needs to be read. Everything conveys the Holy. The path is under one's feet, a map isn't necessary to find it, IMO

Love,
    ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Post Re: An Ocean of Knowledge...

Namaste Yajvan,

Those who do not understand that there is only one ultimate Truth are shudra.

Brahman is the import of the Veda, and those who are “not ready for it” are either shudra or they have already been confused by their own partial knowledge. And that is why I mentioned that direction in chaos comes almost automatically to one who maintains an open mind.

As for where to start in reading the scriptures, well, that really depends on one’s starting point and what it is that one is actually seeking! It is all there in the “ocean of wisdom”, and one can either follow the trail of scattered jewels, or head straight for the treasure trove ~ and the best advice for the true path can only come from one’s own Guru.

My own approach has always been “random”, and from personal experience I can say that it seems to work. And with the addition of personal advice from one’s Gurus (who may be various throughout one’s life, but there should only be one at a time), this apparent “chaos” becomes more and more focused.

It seems to me that the masses are in dire need of a Guru! But following fragments of different paths simultaneously is like randomly inserting multiple cracked lenses into a telescope! The best view is obtained when just one perfect lens, or a perfectly matching set of lenses, is employed.

Most will have arrived at HDF in a random manner, and progression through the various sections and threads and individual posts within HDF will also likely be somewhat random.

Anyone reading this is most likely in Vishva (the world) and the normal waking state of Vaishvanara, and this has been amply described.

I am very flexible, but there are some fundamental points that (in my mind) cannot be altered.

Brahman exists.

Brahman is unborn and eternal.

Brahman is one, alone, but apparently twain (i.e. Yama).

There is nothing beyond Brahma (i.e. the Parabrahman or Brahmayoni).

Otherwise, your description of the whole body of scripture certainly sets an imposing field for personal research, and a “road map” would be handy!

But such a mapping, through levels of consciousness and viewed from multiple perspectives, is exactly what I have been attempting (in my own random way) to provide.

Light Re: An Ocean of Knowledge...

1. The vaishvAnara consciousness ~ A

“Of this benevolent one who is the object of our invocation, there is an all-pervading middle brother, and a third brother who is well fed with oblations of ghee. Here I behold the Lord with seven sons.”

I = vaishvAnara = AjñA = sadyojAta = mahAdeva = maNipUra = rudra = aitareya

And yudhiSThira knows this!

2. The taijasa consciousness ~ U

“They yoke the seven to the one-wheeled chariot; and the single courser named Seven draws it. Three-naved is the wheel, sound and undecaying, whereon all these worlds of being are resting.”

II = taijasa = ajña = vAmadeva = bhairava = anAhata = IshAna = bRhadAraNyaka

And bhIma knows this!

3. The prAjña consciousness ~ M

“The seven who are mounted on the seven-wheeled chariot are the seven horses who draw it onward. Seven sisters ride in it together, in whom the names of the seven rays are treasured.”

III = turIyAtIta = prAjña = aghora = nandivaktra = vishuddha = sadAshiva = chAndogya

And arjuna knows this!

4. The turIya consciousness ~ AUM

“Who hath beheld him as he sprang to being, seen how the boneless one supports the bony? Where is the blood of earth, the life, the spirit? Who may approach the man who knows to ask it?”

IIII = turIya = prAjñA = tatpuruSa = umAvaktra = AjñA = shambhu = mANDUkya

And nakula knows this!

5. The turya consciousness ~ [M]

Only “namaHshivAya”.

V = turya = prajñA = IshAna = sadAshiva = sahasrAra = paramashiva = Isha

And sahadeva knows this!

What would your own Guru’s Guru have suggested?

In truth, moksha IS only one thought away!

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post
    Namaste,

I didn't mean to imply that randomness (or any particular approach) is "best" ... quite the contrary! Nothing is "best" for everyone;
    Love,
    ZN

Namaste ZN & sarabhanga

ZN, it is best for you, this randomess, ... this I understand and repsect.
    Sarabhanga, we also concur Moksha is a thought away and for you perhaps randomness has served you well.

Yet for some reason we lost the spirit of this post...we got to the DNA level of knowledge vs. the total human experience of learning and what the offer can be for reading material. For this I must take responsibility and thank you for your posts and contributions.

What would my guru's guru say ?
    you are the Infinite, you are the ocean, be the ocean where ever you may be.

pranams,
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Unhappy Re: An Ocean of Knowledge...

Namaste Yajvan,

I have not only suggested HOW to read, but also exactly WHAT to read!

ONE ~ vaishvAnara = aitareya (upaniSad)

TWO ~ taijasa = bRhadAraNyaka (upaniSad)

THREE ~ turIyAtIta = chAndogya (upaniSad)

FOUR ~ turIya = mANDUkya (upaniSad)

FIVE ~ turya = Isha (upaniSad)

One, two, three, four, five,
    Once I caught a fish alive,
    Six, seven, eight, nine, ten,
    Then I let it go again.

Why did you let it go?
    Because it bit my finger so.
    Which finger did it bite?
    This little finger on the right.

You are the Infinite; you are the ocean; be the ocean where ever you may be.

This is very good advice, but it does not suggest what books to read, in what sequence, in what frame of mind, for what result!

Every time I put a simple equation into a post, the actual words seem to be entirely ignored. Is there some fear of mathematical symbols? I just don't get it.

Was this thread only intended as a long list of possible reading?

Regarding what and how to progress through the library, the suggestion of "as you like" or "follow your Guru's advice" were deemed insufficient for most, so I did my best to provide a defined course (indeed, a tried and true short-cut through the maze), but apparently the spirit of the thread has been lost!

That last post was my best effort ~ so if that was off track or uninspiring, then I have clearly missed the point and should perhaps give up on this internet discussion business. It uses up very much time, and seems to be mostly futile!

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Namaste sarabhanga (et.al)
    -------
    This I think is the offer at HDF is how to throttle the conversations so there is benefit to all that are here to read, understand, ponder. And for some that only wish to window shop.

Our offers are not 'spandex' to have one size fit all. -----

Namaste Yajvan ji,

I do not think at all that a person or a group of persons have any chance of ever throttling anything.

But He or they may have ample chance to think (and boast) that they have 'throttled' or 'taken hold' or 'directed' some event to an excellent finish (This is most general tendency to which I am most prone, more than any other in this forum. This is not pointing to any individual).

i did not know where i wouldl be born. i did not know where i would study. i did not know which city i would go to. i did not know whom i would marry. i did not know as to whether i would have children. i did not know that there would be a HDFpur created by a knight in shining black armour, where i would participate in juicy gossip.

nothing i knew. How could i throttle anything? If any thought came up to motivate my actions, i did not know how/ whence those thoughts came up?

Vishnu has all the plans. And He implements all the plans. For the ignorant ego, depending on the situation, it may be a great proud reward/a shameful massive failure or it may be a great uncontrollable wilderness. Neither is true.

For me it has always been randomness, till I realised that Vishnu has the masterplan. I think that the ego can only pray and submit. That is the only true freedom.
    -----------------------

Needless to say that the initial two posts are useful.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 05 September 2007 at 11:31 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga View Post
    Namaste Yajvan,

Then I let it go again.

Why did you let it go?

This is very good advice, but it does not suggest what books to read, in what sequence, in what frame of mind, for what result!

Every time I put a simple equation into a post, the actual words seem to be entirely ignored. Is there some fear of mathematical symbols? I just don't get it.

Regarding what and how to progress through the library, the suggestion of "as you like" or "follow your Guru's advice" were deemed insufficient for most, so I did my best to provide a defined course (indeed, a tried and true short-cut through the maze), but apparently the spirit of the thread has been lost!

That last post was my best effort ~ so if that was off track or uninspiring, then I have clearly missed the point and should perhaps give up on this internet discussion business. It uses up very much time, and seems to be mostly futile!

Namaste, sri sarabhanga,

I've found your posts quite instuctional, both in terms of content as well as form

thank you!

Love,
    ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

pranam sarabhanga!

It is very rare that a sadhu shares his or her knowledge on the internet in discussion groups like these. Though I see why it is rare, I would like to say that there is a huge need of such sadhus (like yourself, yajvan, atanu and others) especially on the Internet.

It is here on the Internet that our new generation is spending their time. It is also here where much confusion and propaganda is being spread about Dharma in general and Sanatana Dharma in particular.

I would request you to continue to share your wealth of knowledge with all of us. Though the discussion business may seem futile for now and most of the time, I am confident that if it helps even one person in the world gain correct knowledge about Dharma then the purpose of HDF would have been served.

For your kind consideration...
    Last edited by satay; 05 September 2007 at 03:38 PM.
    satay

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Namaste Yajvan,

Then I let it go again.

Why did you let it go?

Namaste Sarabhanga,

If I may let me address a few of your well thought out points:

From your posts I would not have considered the formulaic offerings as a suggested reading list e.g. ONE ~ vaishvAnara = aitareya (upaniSad). Yet - the books you allude to is part of my library and regular reading. I am in hopes others see this as a potential list to consider.

re: You are the Infinite; you are the ocean; be the ocean where ever you may be This is very good advice, but it does not suggest what books to read.

You are correct - In fact I thought the question posed was curious at best. So I responded in a way I think he would have if I asked him.That of being Infinite infers him saying - "yajvan , you are competent to choose wisely, you have gotten this far, make your choices accordingly" . That perhaps sarabhanga is not the answer you are looking for but I answered it honestly the way He would have, I believe.

re: Every time I put a simple equation into a post, the actual words seem to be entirely ignored. Is there some fear of mathematical symbols? I just don't get it

The Formulaic Approach
    I am very much at home with math, calculus, algebraic expressions and the like... yet to answer you honestly - all the 'math' I have seen from the Turiya postings and others, I am not clear as to what axioms are now representing reality [Brahman] and which ones are perhaps re-posts of a debated point, or re-addressed concept, etc. or a grammar correction i.e. long A, vs. short, masculine vs. femine, etc. that is being debated or discussed with Atanu. I could not honestly answer today if the smoke has cleared, what conclusions have been assessed.

As of late it was like drinking out of a fire hose at 200 psi. I can see how the conversation got to the level of detail - to increase clarity and specificity of your notions and I thank you. IMHO I found that the forest was no longer in discussion but each needle on each branch was being evaluated. This for me, only increased the diversity and complexity of the matter, so I left the conversations. I for one can use a fresh piece of paper, but that is me. [ please do not act on this, as I just need to re-read the posts for a 3rd time... ]

re: Was this thread only intended as a long list of possible reading?
    Sarabhanga, the post was not a reading list... I seem not be able to communicate this to the audience as of late. The intent was to outline what exists. Note that this post is in New To Sanatana Dharma folder. Hence new folks perhaps trying to get the lay of the land. The various offers and possibilities of how vedic literature is structured and what is out there. This I cannot stress enough, yet I Have been abysmally unsuccessful in doing this. uuuggh , gasp!
    ((((( --))))))

I have re-read my posts and they look succinct enough, yet I view it from my eyes. We did not even get to the conversation of what reading may be attractive before the 'dog pile' occurred. Hence I will not even consider addressing it at this point.

re: That last post was my best effort ~ so if that was off track or uninspiring, then I have clearly missed the point and should perhaps give up on this internet discussion business. It uses up very much time, and seems to be mostly futile.

I can appreciate what you say, and sense the exasperation. Words bring mischief, mostly unintentionally. Each of us have filters, biases , etc. Your posts have always been rewarding to read and I hope more are on the way.

My orientation is to offer HDF various ideas, thoughts, perspectives to stimulate interest, and perhaps by His grace an 'ahhh ha' or two for ones advancement may occur. If this is not valuable, then maybe its time for me to go sell earth shoes again!

Awaken people's curiosity. It is enough to open minds, do not overload them. Put there just a spark. ... Anatole France

From my last posting to you and to ZN, I have taken full responsibility for the conversation - if it went sideways, so be it, and that is how the graha's influenced at that time... maybe a different muhurta would have yielded a different conversation. That said, the value you bring to HDF is recognized and appreciated.

To teach is to learn twice... Joseph Joubert

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 05 September 2007 at 03:55 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thumbs Up Re: An Ocean of Knowledge...

Namaste Sarahbanga and all on this tread

I have just finished a quick redding on the books you have recommended and it seems to me that the books really express in terms of correspondence of contents the five fold plan of Self discovery that you have been presenting to us. Very illuminating indeed.
    Thank you honorable Sri Sarahbanga Giri for the Knowledge offered.
    Last edited by Nuno Matos; 05 September 2007 at 08:19 PM.

Thread Information